My first reaction is - Again? Terengganu again? Another collapse? What next?
When others are busy lobbying for P 94 Hulu Selangor, cabinet posts under the "new" MCA line-up or waiting for explaination from Anwar's on 1 Israel vs 1 Malaysia, PERKASA assembly, let's take a back seat on those and zoom in on Terengganu's construction industry.
First, on June 2 June 2009 the RM 250 M roof of Sultan Mizan stadium collapsed. 9 Months later, the government released a 60-page confidential report on the possible causes leading to the collapse :-
- Serious engineering flaws;
- Shoddy workmanship;
- Inferior materials;
- Lack of expertise in key project management team;
- No checks done during erection period;
- Immediate investigation to determine who is responsible for the mishap;
- If the Contractor is at fault, he will be blacklisted;
- Shoddy work by Contractors;
- Disciplinary actions to those who failed to execute their responsibilities diligently;
- Failure to monitor the progress;
- 1 Bangladeshi worker killed, 2 seriously injured whilst another 2 sustained light injuries;
- Result of weak scaffolding;
- Nothing wrong with the structure of the building which housed the Varsity's oceanography institute;
Now, let's do a quick 5W1H scenario of what happened in UMT collapse:-
- How do the Consultant Engineers calculate the load of the floor? Is proper calculation done and did the examiner consultant check the design?;
- If it is indeed the scaffolding failure - who is the scaffolding supplier? Why did the scaffolding fail? Where is the scaffolding design calculation? Who approve erection of the scaffolding?;
- Who is the Health and safety officer? Where is he when the incident happen? How did he conduct tool-box briefing? How did he get the brifieng transferred to the Bangladeshis?;
- What actually happened? Is it a cantilever structure? If it is, is the reinforcement design adequate to cater the load? Who approved the cantilever design?
- The incident happened at 5.30 pm. At that stage of point what is the balance percentage to complete the concreting? What is the volume of concreting for the structure? Is it done in a single pour or multiple pour? Is there any cold joint involved?;
- Is there any cross-bracing done to reinforce the scaffolding? What is the condition of the scaffolding foundation? Is it on mushy ground or wet ground or dry and even surface?
- Is the scaffolding properly erected? What is the material used for scaffolding? Are the scaffolding ties properly braced?
- Did the bucket (for concrete) hit the formwork? What caused the scaffolding to give way? The footing, the weight or external forces?
- Register all works with relevant authorities;
- DOSH to ensure that all HSE supervisiors are properly certified;
- DOSH to provide training and regularly visit "high-risk" construction sites;
- Dewan Perniagaan Terengganu, Professional bodies to conduct safety talks in Terengganu for Terengganu based contractor;
- All concreting should be done under the supervision and presence of supervisors and the Consultant should also be present during concreting;
- All scaffolding to be regularly inspected;
- Used scaffolding to be properly inspected and scaffolding suppliers should be accountable for their product;
- The contractor should be remanded first until thourough investigation is completed;
Till then...G'nite M'sia...wherever u are... Read More