Saturday, March 27, 2010

I root for Ong TK. Period!



I remember a time way back during my schooldays when a new classmate from an urban elite school was introduced to the rest of the class by our form teacher. Everybody oohed and aaahed at her beauty except for us, the certified lawbenders. We whispered to each other "So here comes the beauty from the best urban school. Well, let's prove that she will be the worst of the best (batch) in this school.". That's how we psyched ourselves to push ourselves to perform the best of our ability during the form 5 exam. True enough, without past year series, reference books, tuitions, extra classes and what not, our batch broke the school record for the best results which is still talked about during school reunions.

The opposite will equally be talked about if someone falls into the "best of the worst". And that is what we will be talking about today and the dubious honour goes to .... 2010 Presidential election. Before you stoned me for this statement, let me make myself perfectly clear. I wish I do not have to coined up the words but apparently since reposrts are be-littling MCA's presidential candidate, that phrase "Best of the worst" comes to mind. Now, let's move on...

One of the three Presidential candidates will be declared winner by the end of 28th March 2010. Honestly, I am picking Ong TK to win the day but news reports are claiming otherwise putting Ong TK as the delegates' underdog although the Merdeka centre pollster indicated that the public prefer Ong TK over the other two...

Why not Ong KT? I will give you my real-life experience when I was part of the team to implement a project. Along the way, our team leader was replaced with other team member and he was devastated. He came to me and lament on what will happen to the project and the direction of the project. His consistent pleading forced me to make a night trip to the capital to meet with the project director to pleads his case. I was naive and inncent, then and I did notknow the reason for my friend's removal from his post. What the Project Director said is simple and has taught me about bench-mark. He simply said "NC, I am surprised by your compradeship and I respect your decision to make a trip here although you barely know me. Do you know that your friends has breach our discipline and has took actions detrimental to our project and our integrity? He has...(listing all the misdeeds) and as such he needs to be replaced. Even that, we are being kind to still allow him to stayback as team member. Nobody is indispensable and things will fall into its places, you will see?. True enough, the project is a success!

Moral of the story? Just let it happen, and problems will be solved in due time. Have anyone seen a country crumbled because the leader is incapicitated? Thus, by choosing to offer himself as a Presidential candidate, Ong KT choose to revert his earlier promise and in doing so has undone what he has promised to do ie to limit the term of an MCA President. Ong KT is by-passing his own promise and this may leads to further unrest and fractionalisation in MCA.

Chua SL is better off as number 2. To be a politician, you must ne thick-skinned and must be able to lie through your teeth. If that can be done then the rest is simple. Chua SL is a fine gentleman. He admitted to his escapades caught on video but that does not stop him from offering himself to be MCA's numero uno.

I am sure Chua Soi Lek read about Jack Purfomo who fell into disgrace with his scandal with Christine Keller. Chua may still remember Bill Clinton and Monica as he may also remember how it is said Sukarno was caught romping in Russia. Those incidents forced the politicians to retire but no, not Chua SL. He admitted that he is the one caught on video and now he is offering himelf to lead MCA. Chua SL is better off defending his number 2 post but when he chose to go for number one, he is exposing MCA to ridicule.

Chua SL has the machinery to pull him through but winning is not everything. Not when Chua SL may be held hostage with his tape. The opposition will jump at the chance to hang him and BN component parties will use his vulnerabilities to bypass MCA. Being number one, that is not a good choice to be.

A top political leader one confided that he too has needs to satisfy his libido but his position stops him. He said that's the sacrifice needed so that he can project a clean image and wins the peoples' trust. Chua SL chose to do it differently and I am not in favour of his move.

That leaves Ong TK. Granted that the 2378 delegates will choose who will leads MCA. Take out the 101 who offers themselves at different post, the rest choose to be team palyers and spectators. Even Wee KS and Yip MF choose to stay in the backroom to campaign for MCA's Brutus.

If none of these 2378 steps forward to take the reins, then MCA has no choice but to retain Ong TK. If 2378 delegates choose to be team players, then be good team players by retaining Ong TK as MCA's numero uno. MCA has nothing else to lose. For the past 50 years, they survived political onslaughts but Ong KT filed the community in 2008 and handing MCA to Ong KT will be like digging MCA's grave.

MCA do not need rebranding nor does it needs re-packaging. Anything with Ong KT's name on it is confirming that MCA is living on the past. What MCAneeds is reformation and the guts to stand up to UMNO. That is what Ong TK is doing and that is the way for MCA to regain their lost ground. Ong TK is paving the way for the Chinese community to return to MCA.

Ong TK may not be the best of the best but at least he is the best of the worst. In time, he will improve and brings MCA to the forefront. The question is - the public has confidence in Ong TK, but will the delegates choose money over responsibility and transperancy? If the 2378 delegates choose patronage, then all is lot for MCA. The choice is in teh hands of 2378 delegates. That choice is not for the 2378 delegates only but it is the voice ob the Chinese community. Will these delegates failed the chinese community and the Malaysians at large, for measly rewards of patronage and money? I leave it to the delegates.

Be known that I remains apolitical but for the benefit of the nation, I choose Ong TK over the other 2. That much is clear and the chances of my choice coming through tomorrow? I will say that it is not good but as long as there is breath, there is hope...
Till then...G'nite M'sia...wherever u are...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dnightcaller,
Seriously, I can't be bothered. Frankly, after seeing Ong Ka Chuan running away from my mother in the MCA Kuala Kangsar meetup when I was a teenager gives me a very bad impression about MCA. So does my parent. Especially when my mum was once MCA Kuala Kangsar Wanita Chief and has links to relatives including one Governor of Malacca.....Hehehe, of course, we cut off all contacts lah.....
Of course, if I am forced to make a choice, it would still be Ong Tee Keat.....Frankly, Ong Tee Keat can't make any good anyway.....
Having said that, I still see few good men in MCA especially the grassroots but too bad, the top leadership is rotten....

nightcaller said...

Loose74

The results are out. Chua SL wins the day and I hope he has the guts to stand up to UMNO. His DVD-gate is matched by the talked-about PD-gate. The only difference is PD-gate has no DVD.

I also hope that Chua SL is gracious in winning. The next few days will tell which way Chua will leads MCA.